10 toxic plants to avoid if you have pets

Before buying a plant, check its labeling to find out what species it is and the degree of toxicity, and how it affects the animals if ingested. Try to place the pots out of their reach and do not abuse repellants. With these tips, you will prevent your pet from falling into the temptation to chew on a leaf or stem when you are away.

The idea of ​​a harmonious universe in which the different plant species coexist with the animals is not as easy as it seems. The branches and leaves can be very tempting for some animals, which begin to explore the environment by playing with these types of elements that are often toxic to them.

Therefore, if you have cats or dogs, you must pay close attention to what type of plants you want to place in your living room so that your pet is not in danger if ingested. Ideally, before buying a plant, look at its label to see how toxic it is and the consequences it could have for pets. Below we have listed ten types of plants that can be toxic to pets.

Azalea

Ingestion of Azalea (Rhododendron) flowers, branches, or leaves can affect animals’ circulatory, nervous, and digestive systems. The diagnosis can be complicated, so at the slightest suspicion that it may have been ingested, you should take your pet to the vet.

Tulips

Most bulbous plants, notably amaryllis, hyacinths, lilies, daffodils, and tulips, are toxic if the bulb is ingested. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea and the outcome can be fatal depending on the size of the dog or cat. Always place them as far apart as you can.

Cyclamen

Cyclamen is another bulbous plant that contains a substance called cyclamen. It causes arrhythmias, seizures, vomiting, and diarrhea, causing death depending on the amount ingested.

Adam’s Rib or Monstera Delicious

One of the most used plants in decoration is the Adam’s Rib or Monstera deliciosa. Many people use them to decorate precious corners of their houses, adding a touch of jungle color to the rooms. But be careful because it can cause a severe problem for pets due to the calcium oxalate crystals that the whole plant contains. Pay attention, especially if you have cats who like to play with anything that hangs so much.

Ivy

 

Be very careful also with ivy, since they cause irritations and eruptions just by touching their leaves. If you grow it outdoors, teach your dog that it is not a good idea to urinate near it, and indoors use hanging pots that are out of the reach of cats. 

Hydrangea

Eating hydrangea leaves or flowers causes digestive problems that usually begin with vomiting and diarrhea, followed by abdominal discomfort and lack of coordination. Please place it in a vase out of the reach of your feline or dog.

Kalanchoe

Ingesting Kalanchoe can affect the nervous system causing tremors, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Potos

For an animal, Potos is one of the most tempting plants. Its hanging leaves (Epipremnum aureus), as well as other plants of the same family, contain calcium oxalate crystals that cause irritation and inflammation in your mouth. Its effect is immediate.

Poinsettia

Now that Christmas is approaching be very careful with the Poinsettia ( Euphorbia pulcherrima ). This beautiful Christmas plant is toxic whether its leaves or stems (which contain a milky sap) are ingested. It can affect your eyesight and digestive system.

Aloe vera

The comprehensive medicinal benefits of Aloe Vera are already known to humans. However, the same does not happen in the animal kingdom; it is the opposite for pets. Being a toxic species, it is best to keep it out of the reach of our dogs and cats. Its ingestion can cause vomiting, spasms, depression, and changes in the color of urine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *