Delicious Cuban style tamales filled with pork and corn.
28 dried corn leaves
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 pound of pork for stew, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of tomato sauce
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1 tablespoon of MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
1 1/2 cups corn kernels, thawed
2 cups of dough for preparing tamales
1/2 cup sour cream for decoration
- Soak corn husks in water for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add pork, onion, garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
3. Add tomato and pepper sauce, stirring frequently for 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside.
4. Place corn in the food processor. Pulse 5 to 7 times or until corn is thickened and set.
5. Add corn to pork and stir. Add to dough, stir until well mixed.
6. Place corn husk on a flat surface, pointed side down. Spread ¼ cup pork mixture on husk.
7. Fold sides to center over filling, then fold pointed sides up. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
8. Place tamales upright on a steamer rack. Fill with water just below the rack.
9. Cover tamales with remaining leaves and a damp towel, cover with a lid. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium adding water as needed. Cook for 2 hours or until the dough flakes easily.
10. Serve hot with sour cream.
11. Add 1/3 cup slices to the mixture for a spicy kick.